Wednesday, July 22, 2009

One week left and boy do I miss HOME

I thought I'd write a post, not about Korea and what I've been doing here, but instead what I miss from home and what I am looking forward to the most.


1. My family--


I was fortunate enough for Dad, Mom-mom, Pop-pop, and Matt to come visit me whilst in Australia but that was in April and it has been a couple of months since then, but I still miss all of you desperately. I cannot wait until my birthday party with the family, sitting around the Bucca de Bepo lazy susan looking around at everyone, taking in everything that I've missed in the past half year, all while enjoying some great italian food (so excited!) I haven't seen Mom since February 7 and I have to say, I miss you the most. But guess what, despite all of the worrying and paniking, I am one week away from home, and I am still in one piece, healthy, and happy. I am looking forward to the clam bake more then I can even describe. Besides all of the wonderful, home cooked food that is always present, I can't wait to spend time catching up with everyone, and even playing the aunnual game of baseball. Grammy and Pop-pop, I am so excited to see both of you. I can't even tell you how much I appreciate the hand written letters and emails (you have finally mastered the computer!) that I have received while away.


I am looking forward to sleeping in my own bed, relaxing and watching AMERICAN television, and seeing my family as much as possible before I leave for my next adventure, Argentina.

2. Friends-- Although I made plenty of friends in Australia, it has been really difficult being away from all of my friends at home. Our college years are winding down, and there isn't a lot of time left before everyone goes their seperate ways and it will be much more difficult to see each other. I missed an entire semester with my best friends/roommates/teammates at RPI but I intend on making up for lost time this fall. I can't wait to play RPI field hockey again after learning a thing or two in Australia. This is our senior season, last chance. Phoenixville friends, have been there for years and years. Unfortunately we chose schools far away from one another, but whenever we reunite at home, its like nothing has changed. I have no doubt that it will be the same upon my return.

3. Food--

Australia really did have great food, most of which was similar to the states. Korea on the other hand, also has good food, but nothing like the states. I like Korean food, but eating it every day is a little tough. There are certain things that I have not had since I left the states that I am absolutely dying for.

American Pizza- Australian pizza was decent, but it was small, and they don't have buffalo chicken topping. Korea only really has Dominos or something similar but it tastes a little bit different then American Domino' s and who likes Domino's anyway?

buffalo wings- don't exist in Australia...Football, wings, and pizza, can't wait.

Cheesesteaks- self explanatory

Hoagie- I haven't had a real sandwich with real meat in far too long. Wawa would be wonderful but I really crave a true hoagie from a local pizza place (like Sal's Pizza box..they make great ones, or Maselli's at RPI)

Ben and Jerry's Phish Food Ice Cream, DQ blizzard, Pertucchis milk shake, Snowman's, etc

Blueberry Pie- I never had it often at home, but when I did, it was amazing. Especially when Grammy makes it. Pie as we know it doesn't exist in Australia (or at least I didn't find any)

Funny Cake- I think I got used to one every so often compliments of Grammy and Poppop. Six months is far too long without funny cake.

Steak- I had steak in Australia, but meat is reserved for special occasions in Korea. I would love a nice, medium steak, or any meat in general would also be accepted.

Cheeseburgers- for some reason I had a hard time finding a really great cheeseburger in Australia, and in Korea they are non-existant unless I go to burger king, which isn't happening.

Zucchini Parmasean - my all-time summer favorite...no one makes it like Mom, since she made up the recipe...

Corn on the cob - my other all time summer favorite

Ritas water ice- yum.

There are probably plenty of other things, but those are the ones that came to mind first.

3. Miscellanous things

Phillies - I got really into them in the past couple of years and EPSN.com just doesn't cut it.

Football- Sunday games with pizza and wings are the best.

RPI field hockey- the girls, the game.

Sunday morning breakfast at the diner with Mike

Saturday nights running around freezing cold troy in heels trying to get to the next party.

Apple picking

My cats- even though they probably don't even know who I am anymore

Flavour cafe- my favorite study spot with my favorite study buddy (KATE!)

The Rensselaer Union

Dunkin Donuts- although I've learned that their iced coffee sucks compared to Australian iced coffee, I still miss it.

Arnold Palmers

Snow

King of Prussia mall

Browns and Panchos



I guess that about covers it...sorry got a little bit sentimental haha. Can't wait to come home!!!




1 comment: